What is Social Emotional Learning (SEL)?
Self-awareness: Know your strengths and limitations with a well-grounded sense of confidence, optimism, and a “growth mindset.”
Self-management: Effectively manage stress, control impulses, and motivate yourself to set and achieve goals.
Social-awareness: Understand the perspectives of others and empathize with them. We are all unique.
Relationship skills: Communicate clearly, listen well, cooperate with others, resist inappropriate social pressure, negotiate conflict constructively, and seek and offer help.
Responsible decision-making: Make constructive choices about personal behavior and social interactions based on ethics and safety.
Emotional Intelligence is as Important
as the ABC’s
Our PLAN to integrate learning in…
HOME and COMMUNITIES
- Monthly Parent Connection Meetings – the 4th Wednesday of the month at 6pm to discuss selected readings which focus on children’s social-emotional development.
- Second Step Program – available on school website as a supplement to the Responsive Classroom program taught in classrooms.
- Student Council to identify values to be promoted monthly
- Create a “Buddy Bench” to help kids identify others in need of a friend
- Add positive messages on campus to promote social emotional skills and ideas
- Implement Loose Parts Play on Kinder Yard
- Focus on creating Learners, supporting healthy dialogues and a growth mindset:
- “I know where I am going”
- “I have the tools for the journey”
- “I monitor my progress”
- “I recognize when I am ready for what’s next”
- “I know what to do next”
To download as PDF, click here.
For questions, contact Patty at email@example.com
- Thursday, November 14
- Friday, November 15
- Monday, November 18
- Tuesday, November 19
- Wednesday, November 20
- Thursday, November 21
- Friday, November 22
- Monday, November 25